September 4, 2011

Info 12: Story 2: Length of sailor collars


I wonder about the correct length of the sailor suit collars, the colors of suits and collars and so on. I haven't found many informations yet and have to investigate this further. If I have enough entries I will perhaps create a list of unusual collors or a list of films with the longest collars.

One good link with a short history and proper names is

http://www.album1900.com/glossary/sailorsuit/sailorsuit.php

and probably the best link is Histclo (see my links).
According to that page, blue collars are for winter and white for summer. But I'm still not sure for colors of whole suit. There is also an image with a light blue striped suit, also for summer. But what about the green suits and others? Might be different with choirs (Vienna Boys Choir) today, as they wear it at different occasions (I think white on stage and blue while travelling).

Interesting also a boy in partly pink sailor suit in 1908:

http://historywired.si.edu/object.cfm?ID=477

Pic above showing a still from "The Sound of Music" (see also the main entry for more infos and pics of frontside). I have also updated there my favourite songs. Note the different length of the collars. The girl on the right has a short collar (is this depending on the shoulders?) The girl on left even has longer hair than the collar. Looks inproper. Perhaps the hair is just too long. The longest collar has the youngest boy Kurt (Duane Chase).

Most collars have 3 stripes blue on white or vice versa, they should stand for 3 victories of Nelson. But this might be also unsure.

One of my favorite sailor suits are from "Die Trapp-Famile" white suit, white long collars, 2 blue stripes. And "Tante Frieda - Neue Lausbubengeschichten" with big long medium blue collar (my first entry).

See also

/2011/11/list-12-sailor-suit-collars.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is hosted by Google.

According to GDPR/DSGVO you agree to Google's terms and policies https://policies.google.com/

You agree that your IP-address, name and date are saved.
You can comment anonymously and you can ask me for deleting comments.