November 1, 2011

Story 11: Sailor suit stockings


I forgot to make this story entry and thought about it last night. Earlier I thought, that kids wore pantyhoses under their sailor suits instead of long stockings.
One of the first movies where I saw the stockings, their length and parts of skin was in "The Lost Prince" 2003 (pictured above, and see entry at)

/2011/10/lost-prince-2003.html

2 boys are playing with tin soldiers on the floor. The old man, maybe their grandfather first propped up his hands on the shoulders of the boy on left and then he was lying on the floor. I don't remember the dialogues but this is an interesting and funny scene.

The first film I associate with stockings is "Fanny och Alexander" (see that entry, rating 9). Alexander wore I think black stockings with a white sailor suit. Still not sure if all stockings are stockings or pantyhoses (especially from girls). I think most stockings are dark or match the color of the pants or dresses.

In "Kartoffeln mit Stippe" (rating 10) Billi wears white or beige stockings with blue sailor suit and also purple sailor suit. But when he sits on a wagon in the blue sailor suit, the stockings reached as long as the half of his upper legs, so I assume that this are pantyhoses/tights.
In "The Sound of Music (1965)" boys and girls wear short beige stockings and show their knees (except the older girls with longer dresses). Weird grey green sailor suits anyway. Short stockings also in "You Can't Do That on Television". I believe the stockings has to be so long not to show too much skin. I will investigate that issue further.

2 comments:

  1. I think pantyhose (British: "tights") only became commonplace outside of circuses and stage performances after about 1965 when miniskirts became the fashion. Children before that time certainly wore stockings, supported either by garters (a cloth strap round the thighs) or a bodice (German: "Leibchen"). Type "karls friend leibchen" into google images.

    Finally Alexander in the film Fanny och Alexander is wearing a suspender (US: garter) at 3mins 19sec in Fanny and Alexander Episode 1 in YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks!
    I later already found karl's friends pics and added the page to my blogroll.
    Stockings, garters, undergarments and the like are rarely shown in (regular) movies.
    Same for dickeys under sailor collars which might look like a T-shirt.
    But I believe, that there were also long underpants, long johns and the like, at least in the US and Canada. And maybe long underpants and/or tights.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is hosted by Google.

According to GDPR/DSGVO you agree to Google's terms and policies https://policies.google.com/

You agree that your IP-address, name and date are saved.
You can comment anonymously and you can ask me for deleting comments.