August 2, 2012

Story 48: Exclusive photo #19: sailor suit boys Belgium 1890s


This big cabinet card showing 2 freckled boys in sailor suits and the family. Taken in Mons, Wallonia in the 1890s. It's my earliest, most expensive and one of my favourite ones (so far).

The postcard sized cabinet card has hundreds of little scratches and a lot of round spots all over, also at the faces and it took me many hours to remove them. But it would be a lifetime job to remove them all. As it's a b&w pic I don't know the colors (of the sailor suits) but I saw a modern sailor suit (on the now deleted tumbl blog starting with sco) which looks similar and I don't assume pink sailor suits for boys. The fabric looks satin like and thin (a summer suit?) No external typical sailor collar but attached to the blouse. Many stripes. I like how they touch each other's shoulders/collars.

Interesting family and clothes, family is quite small for these times and the dad rather old (or the beard made it). The dad was most likely dominant, but the left boy also looks dominant over his thinner brother. The hairstyle looks very modern and I assume that they were rich. Not 100% sure about the date, maybe 1890s, maybe even earlier or 1900s. The backside of the card also has a good styled studio design, but this is nothing uncommon. Photographer R. Josz-Dongrie, 8 Rue Rogier (for those who might search for that).

Update 7/2023. Full pic 2 fixed target to Google Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is hosted by Google.

According to GDPR/DSGVO you agree to Google's terms and policies https://policies.google.com/

You agree that your IP-address, name and date are saved.
You can comment anonymously and you can ask me for deleting comments.